We often meet a lot of people who are unsure on their next career steps, usually feeling torn between University and Apprenticeships. With most schools and colleges directing students down the University route many young people feel compelled to apply without really thinking about the benefits a more experience driven qualification may offer.
We’ve pulled together our top 10 reasons why an Apprenticeship is more beneficial to most than University. Watch our video now!
- Apprenticeships offer on-the-job training at a company that invests in you.
- University offers little to no on-the-job experience.
- An Apprenticeship allows you to achieve qualifications required by and relevant to your industry such as CIPD, AAT, CIW respectively.
- After University you are often required to do additional training and exams to achieve industry qualifications usually not offered within a degree.
- Apprenticeships offer a mix of classroom and hands-on learning within the industry.
- University is almost exclusively classroom and test-based learning.
- Apprenticeships don’t cost you anything with no tuition fees or student loans as they are funded by the government and your employer.
- A University Graduate typically accrues £20,000-£44,000 in student loans, many taking decades to pay off.
- Apprenticeships offer the chance to earn whilst you learn, with some employers paying over double the minimum wage.
- Research shows the average graduate has a starting salary of £14,734 with those completing apprenticeships starting on an average of £18,463. (National Apprenticeship Service)
There are definitely some appealing reasons to go to University; lifestyle, independence however more and more people are wising up to the benefits of Apprenticeships!
For advise on your next steps or to discuss roles in Manchester if it sounds like the right route for you or you’d like to some information on other qualifications or services The Apprentice Academy offer then get in touch for more information or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!